Best Light Meters for Lighting Design in 2020
Understanding how light will affect an indoor or outdoor space can be daunting. Besides figuring out how many lumens is needed and how well the distribution is, light has other properties such as light levels, energy savings targets and government code requirements. On top of that, you can add glare, reflectivity of light, comfort levels and whether or not the light can be controlled. Often daylight is either present or not, and that can create a complex puzzle for light engineers. We all want to deliver a space that is energy efficient and well lit.
A good place to start is by using a light meter. A light meter will read the amount of light in your space. It will allow you to decide whether or not the light you have is appropriate.
Dr.meter LX1330B Digital Illuminance/Light Meter, 0-200,000 Lux Luxmeter
- ▶【4-Range Settings】: This high-quality digital illuminance/light meter has 4-range settings, 0/200/2,000/20,000/200,000 Lux, for a dynamic metering ability.
- ▶【High Accuracy】: With auto zeroing capabilities, you can be sure you'll always get a reading with pinpoint accuracy, and it will always be fast!
- ▶【EZ-Read Display】: Clearly readable info lets you read Units and Signs easily, and stay informed with the over-range indicator.
- ▶【Convenient Switches】: Get better control over your readings with Data Hold & Peak Data hold for when you're recording information. You'll also benefit from its lower power consumption and short rise and fall times.
- ▶【Bring Anywhere】: From squeezing into tight places to keeping your load light, you can bring the Dr.Meter Digital Illuminance/light meter wherever you need to. Fits easily into a work bag or large pocket and barely adds any weight. It's the ultimate in light-metering convenience!
Sekonic L-308X-U Flashmate Light Meter (401-305)
- Exposures accurate down to a tenth-of-a-stop for both ambient and electronic flash light readings in full-stop mode.
- At ISO 100 the ambient EV range is 0 to 19.9 flash f/stops range from f/1.0 to f/90.9 with a shutter-speed span of 60-seconds to 1/8000th-of-a-second (1 sec to 1/500th for flash).
- Photo Mode: for still image photographers featuring shutter or aperture priority display of a full range of ambient and flash functions including cord and cordless flash measurement
- HD Cine Mode: perfect for DSLR and mirrorless videographers who need to take exposure readings and control light using shutter speeds and frame rates
- Cine Mode: designed for use with cinema grade cameras, allows users to select from the most useful frame rates and shutter angles for exposure control with one-tenth stop accuracy.
Sekonic Speedmaster L-858D-U Light Meter (401-858)
- Flash Duration Measurements - Understanding flash duration is the first step in freezing fast-moving subjects.
- Radio Control Modules for Wireless Triggering - The L-858 Speedmaster Pro expands upon ground-breaking innovation by adding functionality for Elinchrom Skyport and Phottix Strato II/ Ares II users
- Increased Light Sensitivity - An additional 3-stops of light sensitivity for incident light, 2-stops, for reflected light (spot), and an ability to capture a reading down 0.1 lx of Illuminance
- HSS Flash Measurements - Finally, photographers now have an accurate way of measuring their lights when they want to overpower the sun or achieve a very shallow depth of field through using HSS
- Flash Analyzing Function - Measures ambient and flash simultaneously and automatically indicates the percentage of flash in the total exposure
Sekonic L-308X-U Flashmate Light Meter (401-305) with Deluxe case
- Portable and versatile meter offers dedicated functions for photography, cinematography and HD cinematography
- Sliding lumisphere measures incident or reflected light via a lens with a 40° reception angle
- Wide metering range from 0 to 19.9 EV at ISO 100, works with exposure times starting as low as 1/8000 all the way up to 60 seconds
- Broad flash range from f/1.0 to f/90.9 at ISO 100, customizable backlit LCD display, Photo, Cine, and HD Cine Modes.
- Includes Seconic Deluxe Case
Hydrofarm LGBQM Quantum PAR Meter Micromol Sensor
- Data logging capability using standard mini-USB cable and proprietary data logging software available at Hydrofarm
- Low power consumption with built-in low Battery power Indication
- Constant linear response curve (as opposed to other meters' Gaussian response) yields higher accuracy independent of wavelength - perfect for measuring LED light output
- No assembly required
- Logging software compatible with Windows XP, 7 & 10 only
URCERI Light Meter Digital Illuminance Meter Handheld Ambient Temperature Measurer with Range up to 200,000 Lux Luxmeter with 4 Digit Color LCD Screen
- Measures luminosity from 0 to 200,000 Lux and ambient temperature
- High accuracy of ±3% rdg ± 8 dgts (<10,000 Lux), ±4% rdg ±10 dgts (>10,000 Lux)
- 4 digital color LCD screen, MIN/Max readings, data hold, auto power off, and low battery indication
- Handheld design, lightweight and compact, easy to transport
- Wide range of application, use lux light meter for set design, factory, office or home use
Light Meter LM-50KL Measures Lux/Fc - LED/Fluorescent, Industrial, Household, and Photography - Calibration Certificate Included
- Measuring lights source: LED white light and all visible light.
- Measuring intensities of illumination in Lux or footcandles.
- Many applications include: Warehouses, factories, office buildings, restaurants, schools, library, hospitals, photographic, many video, parking garages, museums, art galleries, stadiums, building security.
Extech LT40 LED Light Meter
- Measures LED and Standard lighting
- For White and Color LEDs
- Lux or Foot Candle units
Our Best Selling PAR Meter, The Apogee MQ 500 Bundled with Telescopic Wand, Accurate for LED, Rugged, Lightweight, 4 Year Warranty
- Quantum Par Meter for LED photosynthetic light measurement for plant growing
- Damp rated IP68 construction
- Includes Apogee AM-310 Telescopic Wand (Retail Value $59.95)
- 4 year manufacturers warranty
- Made in the USA in Logan Utah
Sekonic LiteMaster Pro L-478D-U Light Meter (401-474)
- Instantly familiar and comfortable to use. Make settings by touching icons or sliding a finger on the screen. The large color LCD displays ambient, flash, cine and other information in a clear and understandable way.
- The L-478-Series meters are especially useful when using flash to lighten shadows or reduce background detail. That's because they measure ambient and flash simultaneously and automatically indicate the percentage of flash in the total exposure.
- The L-478-series has two motion- capture modes to fit camera in use. Touch to set shutter speeds for HD SLR cameras or quickly select frame rates and shutter angles for Cine.
- Special effects and light sources can push standard camera settings to their limits That's why the L-478 also allows creating unique frame rates and shutter angles to .000 to enable precise exposure and lighting.
- Brightness measurement in Lux or FC and Cd/m2 or FL will make the L-478 a major player on movie sets around the world. Display brightness along with exposure measurements or simply by itself.Display Range Film Speed:ISO 3 to 409600 (in 1/3 steps)
DISCLAIMER: There are affiliate links on this page. This means that at no cost to you, we will receive a small commission if you purchase through our link.