LED Lighting for Seaports, Airports and Container Facilities
photo courtesy of Florida Dept of Transportation
Seaports, Airports, and Container Ship Facilities use large poles of multiple high power HID lights to provide general flood lighting through out the facility. The problem is that traditional light sources, such as High Pressure Sodium and Metal Halide, while bright when brand new, tends to suffer from lumen degradation in a relatively short time. And with lights mounted 80 to 120 ft high, replacing light bulbs is not a trivial task
The second problem is the traditional design of a port light. The tend to have rigid mounts and face straight down. Any distribution is done through lenses, but this limits that actual effectiveness of the light itself.
So with the advent of high power LED lighting systems, there are new and better lighting systems that can be employed to improve both the quality of light, distribution of light and even quantity of light. And because our Commercial LED Port Lighting Systems can last 70,000 + hours or more, they can last 16 years without the need to replace a bulb (based on 12 hours a day, 365 days a year)
Here are some of the advantages of installing LED Port Lights:
1. Quick Strike Time: Safety ans security in ports is paramount. With older technologies, such as Metal Halide, HPS, Mercury Vapor and Low Pressure Sodium, having a light go out or turn off is not ideal because of the long time it takes for those lights to turn back on. With LED, it's instant on and instant off, therefore, safety and security is maintained by ever present light. By installing lighting systems that have a quicker strike time, you are creating a safer environment for your seaport, ports, and even airport security efforts.
2. Higher Quality of Light: Light sources such as High Pressure Sodium offer poorer quality of light when compared to LED. Quality of light is measured by a rating called Color Rendering Index (CRI). They higher the quality, the less quantity is required. Higher Quality of Light in a port makes objects appear as they would in daylight.
3. Saving energy by turning lights off with controls. Unlike Metal Halide and HPS, it makes sense to add motion controls to LED lights to be able to turn them on and off in areas where there is little or no activity. This activity may cycle throughout the night, busy at times and not as busy in other periods. Adding a motion control would allow for these lights to turn on instantly when it detects movement, and then turn off when there is no activity. And the best energy savings is always when a light is turned off.
Good Design for LED Lights for Ports, Seaports and Container Ship Yards
Our LED High Mast Lights come with some special features that we think separate them from the rest of the field.
1. First, our lights have a swing arm that allows us to pivot the face of the light +78 degrees and -78 degrees. So this allows us to custom set each light to provide light exactly where we need it
2. Impressive Power options. We have 4 power options available - enough so that you can easily replace a 2000W HID Light. They are:
- 300W - 34,500 lumens
- 400W - 52,000 lumens
- 600W - 69,000 lumens
- 900W - 103,500 lumens
Each light has multiple beam patterns, so a light can be customized both on beam pattern, mounting angle and wattage
3. Built to Last - our lights have passed rigorous salt water and wind tests. These light are extremely well built and strong, built for years of use at your port or container facility.
High Mast Lights: Pole mounted, up to 150 ft in the air, High Mast Lights provide security lighting over a large area. They tend to be 6 to 12 lights per pole, all pointing downwards. You have 2 good options if you want to move your lights over to LED; LED High Mast Lights or LED Replacement Kits. Both can replace up to 1000W Metal Halide and High Pressure Sodium easily.
Port Lighting and Hangar Lighting - New or Retrofit your existing system?
Throughout our website, we have been a strong believer in retrofitting existing fixtures. Here is an exception to the rule. Our High Mast LED Products are so good that we frankly think you would be disappointed with a retrofit solution. There are other companies that suggest retrofitting is a great alternative to new in terms of high mast lights. The truth of the matter, we have the most powerful retrofit options available on the market, and we still think that our new fixtures are amazing. Yes, we will provide you with a DLC Premium Qualified LED retrofit kits if you insist, but please try these amazing lights. Our seaport lighting systems along with hangar are all available in either entirely new fixtures of simply a retrofit. Either way you go, you will not be disappointed.
Photo-metrics for Ports
MyLEDLightingGuide can provide you with a photometric profile of our lights with your parameters. Contact Us. Our lighting engineers have done many port layouts, and because our High Mast lights can pivot, we can design a lighting solution that distributes the light more evenly over a wider area. It never made sense to us to have so much light directly under the pole and very little every where else. That is why we think our high mast lights are better than most, because we can design a lighting solution that includes the right light and the right angle of deployment.